NQF LEVEL 4,
SAQA QUALIFICATION ID. 24294
MINIMUM CREDITS : 178
PURPOSE AND RATIONALE OF THE QUALIFICATION
The purpose of this qualification is to build a foundational entry into the field of Computer Sciences and Information Technology, specifically into the field of Systems Development, covering basic knowledge needed for further study in the field of Systems Development at Higher Education Levels.
A qualifying learner at this level will be a well-rounded entry-level Systems Developer with a good fundamental knowledge of the Information Technology field, coupled with interpersonal and business skills, preparing for later specialisation in Systems Development fields.
The qualification is designed to:
- provide learners with an entry level for further study in Information Technology and related fields, as well as for initial employment in the computer industry.
- provide a foundational qualification for people who are pursuing a career in the computer industry, or related fields. People with this qualification have an introductory level of understanding about computer industry concepts and/or are able to work in areas of Information Technology with little technical complexity, for example entry-level computer programming, as junior project team member.
Rationale of the qualification:
This qualification has been formulated such that it reflects the workplace-based needs of the Information Technology Industry as expressed by its stakeholders.
The input has been used to ensure that the qualification provides the learner with accessibility to be employed within the IT Industry.
Academically this National Certificate is intended to be an entry-level qualification in the area of Systems Development. The qualification builds on knowledge areas covered in National Certificates and short learning programmes at NQF level 2 to 4, and it facilitates entry into the Systems Development field. It aims to enhance readiness for further study in Information Technology and related fields at the Further Education level, provides a pathway into further study at Higher Education level, as well as providing for initial employment in the computer industry.
The qualification provides the learner with the flexibility to articulate in the Telecommunications, Information Technology and Electronic Industries and other industries where IT is a key component, like the Financial Services Industry.
Employment opportunities include;
- Computer Programmer
- Systems Developer
- IT Technician
- Visual Basic Developer
- Web Developer
Duration: 1 Year
IT National Certificate; Systems Development (Programming)
Certification Body : ISETT SETA
Grade 11 (std 9) or an equivalent qualification or that level of education through experience (RPL)
- Office computing
- Programming using visual Basic
- Business communication I
- Programming Techniques
- Information Systems and Technology
- Business communication II
- System Analysis and Design I
- Advanced Programming Techniques
- Website Development and HTML
- Computer Security
EXIT LEVEL OUTCOMES
A learner will be able to:
- Communicate effectively with fellow IT staff & users of information systems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of different types of computer systems and the use of computer technology in business.
- Demonstrate an understanding of problem solving techniques, and how to apply them in a technical environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Computer Technology Principles.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Computer Programming Principles.
- Work effectively as a team member within a development project environment.
- Carry out, under supervision, a small size task to demonstrate an understanding of the knowledge, techniques & skills needed to understand the fundamentals of Computer Programming.
View in PDF Format ( IT Programming )